[TYPO3-hci] 4.1 = menubar/iconbar/dashboard; lets go!

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2006 at typo3.com
Wed Oct 11 12:16:57 CEST 2006

Thanks Patrick!

I'm happy to read Erich struck something!

> 1- The highlight (for me...) is the fact that the page tree (and
> Filelist) are written, easily selectable and visible.

I have decided to add yet an area: The tabbar. So we have menubar/
iconbar/tabbar. Iconbar and tabbar are only shown if there are
content in them of course.

In the tab bar we can place tabs linking to theoretically anything,
but by default we can install a link to Web>Page and File>Filelist.
We allow alternative namings.

In the right side of the tab bar I want the actual running module to
install things with AJAX. This could be tabs to submodules as Erich
suggest. Or for say the Doc module it could be buttons like "SAVE"
"CANCEL" etc.

With this, Erichs suggestion can be implemented, but the framework is
more generally able to host other usages for other needs extensions
will have.

> Pagetree (as we almost call it) is so much better than Web->Page as
> it's
>   straight forward, use the "real" name and is for most editors, the
> central point of TYPO3.

We will allow people to put an alternative name on the tabs.

We could also decide that the Web>Page module becomes Web>Pagetree?

> 2- I'm not sure for the clipboard in case of a large >200 pages
> Pagetree. We're used to normal apps with Edit->Paste so maybe
> Clipboard
> is a good contender for the application bar (Kasper's horizontal bar).

The trick to make the new design work is using an IFRAME to run what
was previously in the bigger framesets "content" frame. Hence, I see
no way we can have drag-n-drop across frames into a clipboard. The
idea is nice though but should be implemented inside the frames
themselves.

> 3- The view from Eric mock up is for no apparent reason more
> temptating
> to use. I never used the view/magnified glass available in the last 3
> years but with the tab it's more likely I would use it. Maybe it's the
> fact that it's almost instantly showing(since it's just a mock up) and
> that give me this impression of usefulness suddenly...
>
> 4- The faux-spotlight menu showned in Kasper's video could possibly
> replace the old "Search string/Show record" and then make the editing
> area less packed. (see the box in list view in Eric's work)
>
> 5- We must bring the Undo/history feature easier to reach. The
> thing is
> that we have Versionning that also kind of compete in the same area.
> This is a tab or section that needs to be further analyzed with people
> that never used TYPO3.

We need to wait with this for a later version because its all about
what is _inside_ the new framework of menu/icon/tab etc. I want to
create that framework first.

However, its important to have these visions posted already because
we must make sure our new framework supports with a high possibility
the future re-organizations of things to make other parts more
userfriendly!

> 6- Help/About/Doc: Mac and Windows used to have the menu item Help or
> About that consist of those. So maybe a straight Help menu could
> effectively group together:
>    About this server
>    About modules installed
>    Documentation/manuals
>    WebStaff help center (custom link)
>
> It should be easy for admin to add links there relative to the use of
> their site. I'm thinking about some pages under a sysfolder with
> How-to
> or even links to some intranets docs in a corporate environment.

It will be configurable enough for all of this.

> Maybe the Help menu could also be the host for some reports, logs and
> statistics.

Could be - or the dashboard! This is where I imagine such applications.

Look at Joomla; They have a default screen with such reports
including a nice matrix of links to various functionality. We should
ahve the same - but in a dash-board fashion that can be customized.

>> (I understand that you feel the old backend was good enough for
>> admins.
>> For 4.1 it will definitely stay as an option but we should be open to
>> improvements to the new menu/icon concept that even admins like to
>> work
>> with in terms of efficiency)
>
> One thing that we also should keep in mind is that all those fine
> personalizations should be lockable so the admin still get complete
> control if he wants standard looking BE.

Got it.
I plan to offer saving them to XML files which can even be
distributed in extensions - a first step to having predefined "Roles"!

> As a rule of the thumb must be: What is not possible to change for
> a BE
> user should be invisible. Here I'm referring to the present User-
> >Setup
> where users can still see stuff he shouldn't.
>

>>> http://www.tragamin.com/t3_be/Home.html
>
> Eric, that's fantastic that you did that so fast. I mean, I'm someone
> who need stuff from others to dig deeper and with your mock up I was
> able to describes ideas I had for a long time. Thanks for that. And...
> same for Kasper. It's sadly easier to comment than do the actual
> coding
> but we should be able to get it right with the eyeballs in this group
> and the help of few new people not used to TYPO3.

I have two roles for this release:
- Create a framework that facilitates the possibilities anyone wants
(like Erics and Tapios ideas) [Obligation as a core developer]
- Solve the problems of my clients. [Personal itch]

Thats it, no more, no less.

- kasper