[TYPO3-hci] 4.1 = menubar/iconbar/dashboard; lets go!

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2006 at typo3.com
Tue Oct 10 18:08:59 CEST 2006

Hi Folks,

The week before the TYPO3 conference I spend 5 days playing around
with prototype library and scriptaculous and implemented the first
draft for the menu/icon bar we have kind of agree to do. In addition
I'm trying to see if I can get my head around the framework for a
dashboard.

At the TYPO3 conference I demonstrated this work in my keynote. You
can watch that as a podcast next monday.

But for you, I have made a screencast demonstrating it in more
detail. It can be downloaded here as QuickTime:

http://194.117.233.66/t3dl/typo3_src-4.0.1-kasper101006.tgz

The source code with all this in is available as a TGZ here; it is
not yet in subversion but will be soon when I figure out some
problems I have.

http://194.117.233.66/t3dl/HCIscreencast.mov

Deadline should be end of october for the first beta (then usability
testing!)

These browsers are tested and it works except for the technical
problems listed below:
- Windows: MSIE, Opera, Firefox
- Linux: Firefox, (Konqueror - but BIG exception!)
- Mac: Firefox, Safari, Opera.

Technical problems:
- event.stopPropagation() doesn't work in IE
- hover on divs doesn't work in IE
- konqueror doesn't show layers over IFRAMES.
- scroll bar in mozilla on mac penetrates layer.

Generally it feels a bit slow, don't know why. What you your feelings
when you test it?

Todo:
- Configuration framework for menu/icon bar: It must be possible for
users to remove applications in the iconbar or menu bar that they
just don't need/like.
- Configurable "pull down menu" app with additional items (URLs,
wizards, re-organization of it all) + function menu second level

I need the HCI team to supply the following answers/work:
- CSS / JavaScript improvements to my current code
- Design work to match t3_skin!
- A discussion around how this framework can be used to deliver out-
of-the-box usability improvements to end-users
- Programming of more default applications for the menu/icon bar and
dashboard; or at least create a catalogue of ideas for such.

Usability testing:
- The aim is to run usability tests on the result and make
adjustments before we release it!

- kasper

"Necessity is the mother of invention"
kasper2006 at typo3.com | +45 20 999 115 | skype: kasperskaarhoej |