[TYPO3-hci] Online-Survey

Sebastian Erlhofer erlhofer at mindshape.de
Fri Nov 17 17:19:49 CET 2006

> When you go deep inside, the survey would be endless because of all the
> items we have to ask :-) Nevertheless we should ask them their opinion
> about the modules they are used to work with. How do they experience it?
Ack. (+1, Yes!) :)

> That's what I suggested. Maybe we can ask them questions about modules
> and start with the question if they ever used the module. Didn't they
> use it, then skip the following question group. This way we don't filter
> them role-based.
Thats a nice idea (Daniel stated some light-version earlier at wiki).

> The reason why I suggested is a lot of normal users don't know what you
> are talking about if you are talking about 'pull-down' or 'tabbed'
> menu's if they don't see it visually.
We agree in using visualisations to improve survey-usability.

> It's is not what they like, but what they prefer. Ask them how they
> experience the pro's and con's as
> well about every menu type as they are used to it from other software,
> for instance.
Asking what they prefer is shortly done (show 3 pics and ask "which do you
like best?"). But asking about pros and cons could be somewhat critical.
Well, I have to be precise, not the asking is critical, but what you
expect as output:
I don't think that the common user will and _can_ reflect pros and cons of
the menu-type that much in terms of usability. For example: You have the
answers that 90% prefer the desktop-theme solution because (pros): Its
common with M$ Windows, they are used to it etc.... (cons): Not good
accessibility, too much overload, small screensize,...

What do you gather from this information? It has to be valueable for our
discussion about menu-type, because  if you give a textfield for giving
pros and cons (open answers) it will cost plenty of time (for users and
analyzers). And doing closed answers here won't help us out (coz we give
some statements and users can only select "our" statements)

There are some kind of questions we (sadly) cannot answer with a survey (I
think). We can ask which type they would prefer. But the question if
menu-type XY is really better than the other in usabiliy-issues won't be
answered this way in my eyes. We should conduct some qualitative tests
afterwards for testing and answering this question.
But well, its more a methodical question here than anything other. :)

> I will. Count me in in conducting the survey and putting it live.
Great! Perhaps we can use survey-extension (I have to say I never saw it
and documentation page is somehow broken).

Greetings,
-sebastian