[TYPO3-hci] Online-Survey

Patrick Broens patrick at patrickbroens.nl
Fri Nov 17 16:38:31 CET 2006

Sebastian Erlhofer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to comment on some points to the survey-issue.
>
> (1) We are (mainly) not regular users at this list...
> Right, and as you all said, we should try to get newby and regular users
> (not developers or administrator). So getting a (quantitative) clue who
> our users are and what those users typically do and how should be our aim
> (we won't get a deep inside into their every day usage with a survey
> though - thats not the aim).
When you go deep inside, the survey would be endless because of all the
items we have to ask :-) Nevertheless we should ask them their opinion
about the modules they are used to work with. How do they experience it?

> (2) Promotion of the survey
> To get (lets call them) "normal" users, we need to promote the survey. As
> stated at Point 5 in Roadmap
> (http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Usability_Survey#Survey-Roadmap)
> That includes translating it into other languages. I will send an email
> when we reach this state, so the translaters and promoters can join :)
>
> (3) Points to improve design of survey:
> - The survey needs to cover all usergroups. So we can do a role-based
> survey (certain questions are not asked if you check "I am not
> administator" e.g.).
That's what I suggested. Maybe we can ask them questions about modules
and start with the question if they ever used the module. Didn't they
use it, then skip the following question group. This way we don't filter
them role-based.
> But we should have it open-ended anyway, coz we want to do some
> statistical analysis afterwards to cluster our usergroups (and we cannot
> know them by now).
>
> - You said we should display pictures of pull-down / tabbed / seperate
> windows.
> Hm. Well. Displaying images is a good idea in general, but what do you
> expect by asking the user which menu-type they like? It is the task of the
> HCI-team to find the best (in aspect of usability) type. The "normal" user
> only says "thats nice / cute / geek", but won't help that much (thats my
> personal experience as researcher) (I wouldn't say anything against that
> if we had too less questions, but we have to be economical :))
The reason why I suggested is a lot of normal users don't know what you
are talking about if you are talking about 'pull-down' or 'tabbed'
menu's if they don't see it visually. It's is not what they like, but
what they prefer. Ask them how they experience the pro's and con's as
well about every menu type as they are used to it from other software,
for instance.

> Finally the appeal:
> Please bring all your ideas to the wiki, at least as a comment in the
> "wishlist"
> (http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Usability_Survey#Survey-Roadmap)
I will. Count me in in conducting the survey and putting it live.

> Greetings,
> -sebastian

Patrick