[TYPO3-hci] Surveys and known facts?

Staffan Ericsson staffan at zytor.com
Thu Nov 16 21:31:48 CET 2006

Hi!

After browsing through a selection of the posts in the news groups I
find  a few interesting things.

1. A lot of graphical design threads.
2. A lot of technical debates.
3. Much talk about the general GUI

What I miss is the talk about the things I have found people having
problems with and threads that present surveyed data of the usability
issues.

Take for example all this strange TypoScript that exists through out
TYPO3. There has been talk about a TS-editor function - isn't that a
high priority area when it comes to ease of use and ease of remembering?

I can for sure have a minor hell adding a new extension to my setup.
Some extensions have about 100 TS settings and the docs are note the
most userfrindly place to start. I usually just grabs setup.txt and edit
it my favorite editor to then paste it into the TS field of my choice.

And the use of TS config as description for
* FE configuration
* FE User configuration
* BE configuration
* BE User configuration

is just raving mad - how can it survived so long?

Where is the feedback on TS errors?

Another interesting problem is the User Admin module that don't provide
support to create users or groups. File/page mounts are probably most
naturally to insert here also along with some access control features.

The file mount dialog does not have the object browser support which
should reduce error rates and put "knowledge in the world".

The access module is nice - but why not more access info in the page-tree?

A survey that goes through every standard module and the most popular
extensions should be conducted to deiced which problems that really
exists. Some things might not be high priority to change but less "cool"
parts might be more important to improve to remove the worst bumps.

A chain is not stronger as it weakest link. TYPO3 needs to kill of those
worst points to become stronger. Improve the good enough parts does not
improve the system as much as the worst parts.

.staffan