[TYPO3-hci] Another approach

Rick - Futuros typo3 at futuros.nl
Thu May 25 15:55:51 CEST 2006

> So you can choose "Access" on "Modules", then a page called "MyPage";
> the result, loaded in Work Area, is regarding "Access" in "Mypage". But
> the marvelous come here: usually if you want to explore another feature,
> for example "List", you can click "List" and then choose the page. But
> in typo3, when you have already clicked on "MyPage" in the page tree,
> you can only click "List" on "Modules".
> Voila, in the Work Area you have the "list things" of the previously
> selected page. I know that all this is done because typo3 "simply"
> remember the page ID, and there's not some kind of magic, but the effect
> is unique: depending on the task you have to do, you can work focusing
> on a module like "Access" and selecting step by step all pages you want,
> or you can focus on a single page and select step by step all
> functionality in "models" you need.
>
> I know that I've write too words for a so "simple" feature (the page
> remember an ID) and perhaps a lot of you don't appreciate very much, but
> this feature had "shocked" a lot of my friends, and I like it really
> every day :)
>
> JoH, I'm sorry if this is a bit/a lot OT :)
>
> Cheers,
> Matteo

The Page tree was *the* reason for me to choose Typo3. It helps to get
an overview of the site structure.
Users are familiar with tree structures and it makes it easy to grasp
something as abstract as a website structure.

I only feels a little unnatural to first select an activity and than the
page.
I think its more natural if you select the tree and after that select
the activity.

The activities can be 'tabs' on top of the work area. You have the same
'quick-switching' but it feels more logical. And both UI can life
together. Just like the top-menu and leftmenu navigation allready do)