[TYPO3-hci] One night with Typo3...

Johannes Reichardt typo3 at gramba.de
Wed May 24 16:39:49 CEST 2006

Hi Joey
> But it is OK to have certain default settings to enable the non experienced
> users to use the system without many hassles.

No thats just cheeky. A valid html site does need more than a doctype -
and if you don´t care about valid websites you don´t need even need it.
So why should Typo3 guess what i need here? Thats reversed thinking of
doing things right.

> In fact it is that easy (assuming you got TYPO3 up and running which is
> certainly no task for a non experienced beginner - but there are enough
> Hosters offering preinstalled TYPO3):
>
> Make sure CSS-styled-content is enabled in the Extension Manager
> Create some pages in the page tree.
> Create some content elements.
> Create a menu element on each page.
> Create one TS template in your rootpage containing two lines:
>
> page = PAGE
> page.10 < styles.content.get

Whats the point about css-styled-content? Will it style my content? I
want to style it my own. a simple "hello world" site needs no style ;)

> This is only possible because there are tons of default settings for the
> most common purposes.
> After you got something like that up and running, you can take a step
> further and learn how to push the right buttons to modify the default
> behaviour.

Ok. I guess you know your way around very quick. But is Typo3 mainly for
people who spend a lifetime on working and understanding it? Or is it
for everyone who wants to set up things quickly based on intuition and
well known standards (php, html, css) ?

> This is how it should be done - but this requires the will to dig into the
> stuff instead of complaining about it's complexity.

That makes me think about a lyric of Freddy Mercury:

"While we rule by blind madness and pure greed
Our lives dictated by tradition, superstition, false religion
Through the eons, and on and on"

I think that kind of configuration is like the current generation of
intel-chips - it was good ment but in the long run it produced so much
overhead and complexity that the processors produced too much heat (like
some peoples heads ;). Now with the upcoming generation of intel chips
in july they will go back to the basic processor design of 1999.

- Johannes