[TYPO3-hci] The Paradox of Choice

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2006 at typo3.com
Mon Dec 11 13:52:39 CET 2006

<snip>
This highlights a style of software design shared by Microsoft and
the open source movement, in both cases driven by a desire for
consensus and for "Making Everybody Happy," ...
</snip>

I agree.

I love my mac because they have made so many (even good!) choices for
me already. I "hate" Open Source software that I'm not a super user
of for being too complex (Yes, I know how ironic that is, but it
doesn't make me lower my ambitions for TYPO3 which - after all - I'm
a super user of!).

<snip>
but it's based on the misconceived notion that lots of choices make
people happy, which we really need to rethink.
</snip>

Not in my case. It's based on the "easy way out". During software
development you come up with new ideas to substitute old ones.
Dilemma is; a) which one to keep or b) both chosen by an option.

Its much easier to implement an "option": You don't have to spend
brain-power on figuring out a winner - something you know you will
fail at doing and you are not looking forward to a long debate later
about whether the one or the other way is best. So you just leave it
an "option" to shut them up...

I'm just explaining why, not saying it is good.

- kasper

On Nov 27, 2006, at 21:00 , Bas v.d. Wiel wrote:

> Hi list,
> Many of you probably already saw this, but still I think it's worth
> reading. It's a blog article on the way Windows Vista's shutdown
> menu is
> organized. Looking at TYPO3 in its present form, I think there are
> lessons to be learned here.. ;-))
>
> http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2006/11/21.html
>
> Bas
>
> PS. I missed a few days of traffic. Any news on the survey yet? I'm
> ready to start bugging our users with it! ;-)

- kasper
kasper2006 at typo3.com | +45 20 999 115 | skype: kasperskaarhoej |
gizmo: kasper_typo3

	"Peace be with you till we meet again