[TYPO3-edu] what makes t3 interesting for edu institutions

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Wed May 9 14:29:54 CEST 2007

>  > + Powerful newsletter functionality including categorisable content
> based on usergroups.
> That's not a good one. Schools send their information through printed
> papers. A newsletter is not the kind of communication tool that
> schools are using primarly.

And this is what costs them a lot (time, paper, toner etc.) and has to be
reduced at most of the schools/universities I know of. I don't think we
should care too much about the past or the status quo but point out the
alternatives that TYPO3 has to offer instead.

>  > + Multi-client capabilities (one BE serves different (sub-)domains)
> Hardly any school needs subdomains.

Almost any bigger university does.
faculty_name.university_name.tld is something very common for university
sites.

> Some other ideas (they are not perfect too):
> - TYPO3 offers you the best collaboration possible.

No, it doesn't ;-)
Collaboration is something that is still treated kind of stepmotherly in the
TYPO3 developer community and there different groupware tools outthere that
do the job much better than TYPO3 does.

> - Involve your students (through project websites and course related
> websites)

Good idea - and another reason for subdomains ;-)

> - Offer your students and their parents easier ways to communicate
> (with the headmaster and the faculties & their teachers thorugh:
> Chat, boards and comments.)

Same thing as for collaboration. IMHO This is not one of the USPs for TYPO3.

> - Give your faculties the possibility to present themselves.

OK - (subdomains)

> - Enable your students to learn at home through downloadable
> worksheets

This is a really good one and it could be even better if you consider things
like pb_survey as kind of a "pre-test".

> - Minimize the cost for printing by offering formulars online

This is why I would vote for the newsletter.

> Anyway: We should point out that T3 doesn't work with most webspaces.
> You need a good server system behind..

Especially if you want to run a university site offering thousands of pages
for a few thousand of students which will generate lots of hits during peak
periods.

But I agree, the technical stuff is less interesting for the edu-people.

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC/Xing: http://www.cybercraft.de