[TYPO3-edu] New Site, Content Tree

walter_gmx walter.haecker at gmx.de
Wed Nov 22 14:55:38 CET 2006

Hello,

Denis Korobov schrieb:
> [...]
> least we could keep this feature in mind till time comes.
>

>>>   - the main TYPO3 features + the things suitable for academic
>>> organizations (in brief)
>>>
>> that sounds good, a brief introduction not very specific (no names of
>> extensions) also for schools or boarding schools...
>> more specific information under 3.) to avoid redundancy. i would suggest
>> some general information concerning edu relevant typo3 stuff. what's
>> possible and for sure what's not possible (yet) with typo3.
>>

> Totally agree. Some general stuff to let people understand the idea.
>

>>> 2. TYPO3 for Educational institutions
>>> Beyond traditional CMS features TYPO3 provides things which make it
>>> idial for educational institutions:
>>>   - diffirent standards and specifications (SCORM, IMS) compatibility
>>>   - Academic Calendar extention
>>>   - Library extention
>>>   - News & Events extention
>>>   - community extention
>>>   - event registration extention
>>>   - integration with Moodle via single signon
>>>   - e-learning extentions (test, quizzes, polls etc.)
>>>  some other things...
>>>
>> does it make sense to list extensions because they change so fast?
>> some idea we had at the dev: is it possible to categorize the ter like
>> it is done with the agencies listed on typo3.org?
>> @claudio: did you get any information about that?
>> so it would be easy to list all extensions categorized as "educational"
>> from the ter.
>>

> Well. They could be not the extentions by names but the main blocks
> which an educational portal consists of.
> Lets put it this way.
> The block - the extentions which provide the functionality (they could
> change). For example: Articles repositiry - tt_news, de_articles etc.
>

>>> 3. target groups
>>>   - teachers
>>>   - students
>>>   - those who manage the project
>>>   - IT personnel
>>>
>> i would prefer that
>>

>>> or
>>>
>>> types of projects
>>>   - campus portal
>>>   - University/college portal
>>>   - e-learning portal
>>>   - students portal
>>>   - library
>>>
>> i think these are listed with the examples
>>

>>> 4. examples/ case studies/ references
>>>   - educational institutions using TYPO3 (are there Universities from
>>> english speaking countries?)
>>> 5. TYPO3 for you (Support)
>>> 6. Imprint
>>>
>> i think the topic "E-Learning with TYPO3" is useful, because the buzz
>> word e-learning is used. i think people are looking for that.
>>

> You are right. It depends on how we see this term. "E-Learning" could
> stay alone and cover the usage of e-learning extentions (quizes, tests
> etc.)
>
> One more thing. Do you think that TYPO3 should obtain its own
> educational modules or it should just regulate the activities done in
> some other CMS (LMS) integrated into TYPO3?

Typo3 should not obtain specific e-learning extensions. The competition
(i.e. moodle) is far too strong.

On the other side is especially on a school "homepage"/portal the
organizational aspect very important. This means for me, different types
of projects (students, school …) need a lot of administrational
services. This is the strengh of typo3.