[TYPO3-dam-devel] RFC #16809: Cannot modify media links in rtehtmlarea

Lorenz Ulrich lorenz-typo3 at visol.ch
Sun Jan 23 23:23:45 CET 2011

Hi everyone :)!

This is an SVN patch request.

Type: bugfix

Branches: 1.1 only

BT reference: http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=16809

Problem:
Until DAM 1.1.7 it was not possible to modify a DAM media link in RTE
because the external URL tab was activated. If you then changed to the
media tab, the existing link was replaced (not modified). This issue was
fixed in #15566.

Now that it is possible to modify links, they are not getting modified
if you do so. The reason is that the RTE database entry parser depends
on the proprietary "txdam" attribute but this attribute is not changed
by the modify link feature in DAM 1.1.

Because of that, if you change a link, the "href" attribute is replaced
correctly, but the "txdam" attribute remains untouched. After saving the
link links to the old file because the href attribute is ignored.

Solution:
This problem was solved in DAM trunk by feature #10293. It extends the
modify link feature to modify the "txdam" attribute when modifying the link.

I know we don't include features in minor versions, but I would say the
interest in fixing this bug is higher than the risk of integrating a
feature. I made a patch that works against 1.1 branch and tested it. It
doesn't change standard behaviour of DAM.

Comments:
If you want to reproduce, make sure you really use the "Modify link"
function (in the context menu) and note the "Insert link" function. If
you highlight a link and click the link icon in the toolbar, the "Insert
link" function is called and everything will work without the patch. The
error is only reproducible by using the "Modify link" function.

Best regards,

Lorenz