[TYPO3-dam-devel] RFC #9403: Missing media types: psd and odt

Uschi Renziehausen typo3news at otherone.de
Wed Oct 15 18:39:06 CEST 2008

Hi Dan,

thanks for adding the two missing types in the first place.
I do have a question about the purpose of those media types concerning DAM.

Looking at $TCA['tx_dam'], we find media_type defined as the type field.
This is a means of control for the showItem part, that will offer usable
forms to editors. Now, for type text we can get rid of all the stuff we
need for images. From this point of view I would prefer to see .odt
under text, where we find .doc btw.

I also wonder whether it is a wise move to create a new media type for
psd. In the end, what you create with ps are images, only difference is
that they are not for the web. But you want to insert meta data about
resolution, width, height and so on.

Why does DAM need the information whether or not a file needs a special
software to open it? This is normally defined under Apache, correct? I
hope you do understand my question.

Kind regards, Uschi