[TYPO3-dam-devel] RFC #9552: Clean Up Click Menu

Uschi Renziehausen typo3news at otherone.de
Sat Nov 8 19:08:06 CET 2008

Hi dan,

>> I tested this one with 4.2dev
>> there are still some issues with this one:
>> 1) The label 'Open in new window' does not show up in the context menu
>
> Did you patch the language file as well? That's where the label is.

I patched it, but the new label did not end up in the right place.

In the meta section it became a sibling of labelcontext instead of a
child and in the data section it became a childnode of <languageKey
index="dk">. Don't know whether this is a mistake in the patch itself or
a result of my trying to apply too many patches at once, corrected it
manually now and the label is there.

>> 2) Some labels are bad:
>>    a) 'Edit record' should be 'Edit meta data'
>
> I think Core label is used here, and I think it makes sense. You're
> editing a record, which gives you more options than just changing
> metadata. From the admin point of view, I would prefer edit record. From
> the editors, Edit metadata makes more sense.
>
>>    b) 'Open in new window' should be 'Edit record in new window' or
>> 'Edit meta data in new window'
>
> Too long (see our discussion in the DAM list) - we went with a short one
> "Edit (new window)"

Better too long than too cryptic and inconsistent. You need at least to
know what the hell you are going to edit, regardless whether you are an
editor or an admin. Will try out the look and feel of a longer label.

>> I do see a certain reason in what Steffen G. says:
>> Currently info is always last in the first section of the context menu.
>> Now editing a file is only possible for certain file types and is
>> second last, therefore the info icon does not keep its position but is
>> shifted as well. So the stuff that has to do with meta data should
>> always be kept together.
>
> I'm not seeing it - can you describe in detail? What file is that for?
> So is there a consensus that "Show" should be first, followed by Edit?

I attach a screen shot to clarify what I mean. For all file types but
the editable ones the info icon is the 4th item in the first optgroup.
But if you are on the icon for e.g. a css file the info icon moves to
the 5th position because the option 'Edit file' sneaks in then.

I see two possible solutions:

a) move the Edit file option to the file operation section because it
affects the file.
b) make the Edit file option the last one in the first optgroup.

Both ways will leave the position of the info option untouched.

I would like to make another note on this one: In more than 50% of the
cases I click the info icon in list view because I want to know the file
type! This is because the title field is used in list view which
deprives you of that IMPORTANT piece of information. I made a bt entry
for that one and would like to discuss that one in project list.

Prosit, Uschi