[TYPO3-dam-devel] RFC #9552: Clean Up Click Menu

Dan Osipov dosipov at phillyburbs.com
Sat Nov 8 16:58:29 CET 2008

Uschi Renziehausen wrote:
> Hi Dan and *,
>
> I tested this one with 4.2dev
> there are still some issues with this one:
> 1) The label 'Open in new window' does not show up in the context menu

Did you patch the language file as well? That's where the label is.

> 2) Some labels are bad:
>    a) 'Edit record' should be 'Edit meta data'

I think Core label is used here, and I think it makes sense. You're
editing a record, which gives you more options than just changing
metadata. From the admin point of view, I would prefer edit record. From
the editors, Edit metadata makes more sense.

>    b) 'Open in new window' should be 'Edit record in new window' or
> 'Edit meta data in new window'

Too long (see our discussion in the DAM list) - we went with a short one
"Edit (new window)"

>> I don't really see the point in your second comment. In the thumbnail
>> view you have a preview, so why do you need to show the file?
>
> Because at times the preview does not show you enough, because the
> original image is very large and thus the details you might be
> interested in get lost.
>
> Even if
>> you do, its all on the same menu - some people use Edit more, and they
>> will prefer to have it first, others use delete... You can't satisfy
>> individual tastes & uses in the general installation.
>>

> I do see a certain reason in what Steffen G. says:
> Currently info is always last in the first section of the context menu.
> Now editing a file is only possible for certain file types and is second
> last, therefore the info icon does not keep its position but is shifted
> as well. So the stuff that has to do with meta data should always be
> kept together.

I'm not seeing it - can you describe in detail? What file is that for?
So is there a consensus that "Show" should be first, followed by Edit?

> Uschi
>
>> Dan Osipov
>> Calkins Media
>> http://danosipov.com/blog/
>>
>> Steffen Gebert wrote:
>>> Hi Dan,

>>> two things:
>>>
>>> - inconsistency of menu labels: File: View file, Display information
>>> List: Show, Info
>>> Both menus should use the same labels.
>>>
>>> - would prefer "Show" as first entry in List module. Although this
>>> might not matter in List view of List module, it's an annoyance for
>>> me in Thumbnail view to always search for the show menu entry.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Steffen