[TYPO3-dam-devel] Concerning DAM / Releases / Team / Workflow

ben van 't ende [netcreators] ben at netcreators.com
Tue Apr 22 11:14:27 CEST 2008

Benjamin Mack wrote:
> Hey michael,
>
> Michael Stucki wrote:
>>> Either way, if we open up the DAM Team List or not, how is the commiting
>>> and fixing handled? Do we have something like in the core list, where
>>> there need to be +1, one by a DAM Team Developer and one other?
>> I think it is already handled similar to the core team, yes.
> Yeah, my point with my email was just that right now we have these
> "agreements" WE know about (well, e.g. I figured the DAM team is handled
>   like the Core team) but we need to let the world know about it.
> Whether we copy most of it from the core team rules or not doesn't
> matter for me.

Hi,

We act according to the rules in the core list. That is it. No need to copy
stuff. I want to be a bit pragmatic in this. We have enough to do as it is.

>>> And then: Who is in the DAM Team anyway? Who is allowed to commit things
>>> etc?
>> This would be the list of current list subscribers.
> OK, still don't know who they are but yeah, I can figure... How about
> having a page on typo3.org so people know who is in the DAM team? Next
> to the rules?

Added those people to the WIKI. Please add or change some info if you want. I am
just to busy right now to do a lot about it.

>>> * We leave 1.0, and go with 1.1 as the main foundation. Why? everyone
>>> who uses 1.0 for the last 2 years obviously can either upgrade if he
>>> wants to use our work or stay with 1.0... because: 1.0 worked for him
>>> for two years so far ;-).
>> I disagree. It would be the same if we shutdown TYPO3 4.1 development next
>> week since everybody is expected to upgrade to TYPO3 4.2 as soon as it is
>> released. No-go for me!
> OK, then IMHO it would make sense if we could again go with a similar
> approach as with the core team. Having a release maanger (or here: team
> leader) who has to decide if a patch has to be backported to an older
> branch while keeping three stable branches:
> * DAM 1.0 releases: Old stable branch, only urgent bugfixes
> * DAM 1.1 releases: Stable branch
> * DAM 1.2 releases: Development branch, new features
>
> (I know we handle it like this already, but we need to let the world know).

I talked to Michiel just now and that is what he does.

> Once, 1.2 mutates to the new stable branch and is released, 1.0 should
> be kept unused.
>
> One minor problem is probably how the TER handles having multiple
> releases for one extension?

No idea!

>>> * We start planning 1.2 with having a minimal requirement of TYPO3 4.2
>>> (or 4.1) in mind, so we can really start on integrating the DAM better
>>> in the rest of the TYPO3 package (I'm not talking about having the DAM
>>> as a sysext, but I think you all know what I mean). Everyone who does
>>> not or cannot upgrade to 4.2 still can use DAM 1.1 which DOES work, right?
>> We cannot say for sure how much it will break. It's certainly a new release
>> with lots of new features, so can't just assume everybody will update to
>> DAM 1.1 immediately.
> Yes, but can we assume to have 4.2 as a minimum requirement? I mean,
> until 1.2 is released it will be probably mid- to end of this year...
>
>>> We gotta make decisions here, and if we don't move forward here, we'll
>>> be doomed for eternity and further development won't speed up as fast as
>>> it could. Remember, we're not in the core here, so
>>> backwards-compatibility is important, but not TOO important.
>> Can you clarify this? Or let's just discuss it whenever it comes more
>> closer...
> Yes, I just meant that we shouldn't focus on the 1.0 releases.
> Basically, if we hit off in a similar way like the core development I'm
> fine :)

OK

@Michael can you open up the list? Or should I ask Luc? I think he is in charge.
@Benni. Can you commit at this point? Do you have access? If so check out 5681.
That is a major one Michiel already spent some time on.

gRTz

ben
--
netcreators :: creation and innovation