[TYPO3-dam-devel] Concerning DAM / Releases / Team / Workflow

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Sun Apr 20 14:55:06 CEST 2008

Hi Benni,

thanks for your input!

> === DAM Team ===
>
> Either way, if we open up the DAM Team List or not, how is the commiting
> and fixing handled? Do we have something like in the core list, where
> there need to be +1, one by a DAM Team Developer and one other?

I think it is already handled similar to the core team, yes.

> And then: Who is in the DAM Team anyway? Who is allowed to commit things
> etc?

This would be the list of current list subscribers.

> I think we should clarify stuff like that before we open up the
> list. Maybe we need a DAM Team, some general guidelines on how the whole
> workflow of sending patches in etc. is handled.

I agree with you. However this will be a pretty simple task as most of the
guides can just be re-used from the core team.

> === DAM Releases ===
>
> One thing I struggled with a bit is the way how DAM releases are
> handled. Obviously I'm not too long in the game yet, but seriously, we
> do we need to fix 1.0 bugs if there is a 1.1 release coming that is only
> fixing bugs?

It's about maintaining a stable version. There is a DAM_1-0 branch in SVN,
and I have for example fixed some issues that currently block DAM 1.0 from
working with TYPO3 4.2.

For exactly this reason I think it is important that we are going to release
DAM 1.0.12 next week no matter of any documentation and open bugs in Trunk.
DAM_1-0 is a stable branch and will not break anything since it contains
only bugfixes.

> To be honest, this blocks me from fixing bugs since I need
> to have a working 1.0 installation, 1.1 installation etc. So I propose
> this:
>
> * We leave 1.0, and go with 1.1 as the main foundation. Why? everyone
> who uses 1.0 for the last 2 years obviously can either upgrade if he
> wants to use our work or stay with 1.0... because: 1.0 worked for him
> for two years so far ;-).

I disagree. It would be the same if we shutdown TYPO3 4.1 development next
week since everybody is expected to upgrade to TYPO3 4.2 as soon as it is
released. No-go for me!

> * We start planning 1.2 with having a minimal requirement of TYPO3 4.2
> (or 4.1) in mind, so we can really start on integrating the DAM better
> in the rest of the TYPO3 package (I'm not talking about having the DAM
> as a sysext, but I think you all know what I mean). Everyone who does
> not or cannot upgrade to 4.2 still can use DAM 1.1 which DOES work, right?

We cannot say for sure how much it will break. It's certainly a new release
with lots of new features, so can't just assume everybody will update to
DAM 1.1 immediately.

> We gotta make decisions here, and if we don't move forward here, we'll
> be doomed for eternity and further development won't speed up as fast as
> it could. Remember, we're not in the core here, so
> backwards-compatibility is important, but not TOO important.

Can you clarify this? Or let's just discuss it whenever it comes more
closer...

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out