[TYPO3-core] Review system woes

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 10:00:39 CET 2013

Hi!

There is one thing that bothers me a lot recently. The RFC of the nearby
thread (17918) and other pending RFCs make me think that our current system
does not let useful patches to come through but it easily passes patches
that actually make TYPO3 worse (slower, more memory hungry).

I submitted several patches, which come from fixing real life issues at
Snowflake. They are not difficult but nobody reviews them. They are tested
by months of requests to every site that we have. On the other hand,
artificial and practically worthless changes come through because they are
"ideologically correct", blah-blah-blah and so on.

Doesn't this mean that the current system is not meant to pass good
practical patches through but instead to pass something, which is
artificial, theoretical and academic?

Yesterday I submitted a typolink speed up patch. It is a simple patch. I
could do it months ago but I waited to see if there will be a single core
dev, who could do that instead of me. There were none. So I did yesterday.
But my cHash patch, which prevents a possible DoS on TYPO3, is pending for
a long time. It is a simple one and nobody from core devs considers it. On
the other hand, core devs passed the patch, which adds a full $TCA in FE -
the feature, which no one really needs, which makes TYPO3 slower and takes
unnecessary amounts of memory.

So I have these questions:
- What's the point of submitting good changes to TYPO3 these days if they
are stuck forever in Gerrit?
- When did TYPO3 change from being a practical product to a theoretical
programming playground?
- Where do we head with these practices?

No offense meant. I am just trying to understand if I still fit into TYPO3
or if I should start looking for a different platform to specialize in
until it is too late for me.

Please, do not become offended.

--
Dmitry Dulepov