[TYPO3-core] why did jenkins reject my commit?

Susanne Moog susanne.moog at typo3.org
Fri May 18 11:20:08 CEST 2012

On 05/18/2012 11:04 AM, Jigal van Hemert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 18-5-2012 10:17, Xavier Perseguers wrote:
>>> PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected ';', expecting ',' or ')'
>>> in typo3/sysext/lowlevel/clmods/class.lost_files.php on line 132
>> Such errors are easy to spot even without phpunit, you just should run
>> "php -l<your-file>" after you change something to ensure it is still
>> valid PHP ;-)
>
> Sorry, but if you push something like this to gerrit with syntax errors
> in it, then it means that the code itself was not tried at all!?!? It
> isn't even known that the bug is solved or that the rest of TYPO3 is
> still working...

In this case the "bug" was cleanup, so no real "fix" necessary.
Nevertheless at least a php -l or a quick click-round in the backend
should always be done before pushing, so you save yourself the Jenkins
hassle and - if jenkins does not find the error - others the time to
check it out.

But big thanks for all the clean up patches currently done :-)

Susi

--
Susanne Moog
TYPO3 Core Team Member