[TYPO3-core] [TYPO3-v4] Minutes of the 11th meeting of the 4.7 Release Team

Ernesto Baschny ernesto.baschny at typo3.org
Mon Mar 5 18:10:29 CET 2012

Hi Markus,

Markus Klein schrieb am 05.03.2012 17:39:

>>   Patch-Level Releases
>> --------------------------
>>
>> * There are currently about 40 - 50 merged bugfixes for TYPO3 4.5 and
>> TYPO3 4.6 each. For TYPO3 4.4 there are only 4 bugfixes merged.
>> We decided to *release new versions of 4.5 and 4.6 on Tuesday, March 6th
>> 2012*.
>
> Why are you announcing such things one day before the release??
> Why not giving the Core Devs some more days - after the 6.0 rumors have calmed down - and take these [1] bugs into account?

There are patch level releases "all the time". If a certain bug fix is
not included this month, it will be included in the next month. No need
to make big plans around releasing a patch level release.

Of course it is always helpful to have "as much as possible" fixed in
any release, but it's not the end of the world if the fix gets in one
month later. We never pre-announced patch level releases more in advance
because of this.

One exception is the patch level release containing backported material,
which will have a release candidate (now pre-announced: next week) and a
two week of testing phase, before it will become the successor patch
level release.

A further exception where a pre-annoucement makes sense, would be the
"last patch level release" of a minor release, which will denote the
"EOL" of this release.

>> Since the "TYPO3 6.0" topic removes the barrier of integrating new
>> features and breaking changes, we discussed the demand of a
>> well-prepared strategy in terms of a roadmap from 4.7 via 6.0 to 7.0 and
>> maybe even further. We are going to communicate and discuss the strategy
>> (as a suggestion) during the next TYPO3 events, like the Developer Days,
>> TYPO3 Camps and individual User Group Meetings to get as much feedback
>> as possible - thus, we prepare the resources/slides/information that can
>> be used to spread the idea and vision...

> You're just about to exclude everybody not able to come to those events.

That's of course wrong: it is obvious that discussion will take place
(as it is happening right now) in the mailing lists, through blogs,
twitter etc.

An event requires a different kind of preparation (e.g. "presentation" /
"slides"), thats all we noted in our meeting.

> Please use a public website or public blog for suggesting and presenting such things.
> (And please avoid any private blogs or project specific webpages. Listen to the people complaining about transparency in [2])

Since there is nothing yet to officially announce, it doesn't make sense
to already use "official ways" to communicate. Engaging the audience
early in our discussions (which used to be core team internal) provides
us valuable feedback which of course will culminate in a decision making
process, which will at the end result in official statements by the core
team for the future, then of course using the official routes.

Having these "personal" blog posts, tweets, blog comments, threads in
the mailing lists, etc in the meantime is a wonderful way to involve the
whole community as early as possible in the process.

> [2] http://buzz.typo3.org/people/xavier-perseguers/article/typo3-60-at-the-corner-how-is-it-possible/

Cheers,
Ernesto

--