[TYPO3-core] Proposal for the upcoming Roadmap and LTS

Michael Stucki michael.stucki at typo3.org
Mon Dec 17 13:52:10 CET 2012

Hi Tolleiv,

Am 17.12.2012 01:06, schrieb Tolleiv Nietsch:
> Hi, one question which would be nice to have it cleared out.
>
>> 3. Don't backport _every_ fix into every supported version
>
> According to [1] the 6 months for regular bugfixes is turned to 12
> months for LTS releases - why?

We chose a 1/3 + 2/3 split of the two phases for both, LTS and non-LTS
releases. That seems to make sense to me because LTS is supported much
longer.

If you look at the graph on that Google doc you will also see that
currently, 4.5 LTS receives all bugfixes during 2 years. Going from 2 to
0.5 years seems quite a big change to me without collecting further
feedback for it.

For now I would prefer to stick with 1 year for requiring all bugfixes,
and 2 years for blockers, security fixes, and voluntary fixes (let's not
forget about those, optional fixes are still possible of course if there
is a need for them).

>> Next steps:
>> - We will write a proposal document that incorporates the points that
>> have been covered here.
>> - We will send this draft to the EAB of the TYPO3 Association and will
>> ask for their advise on it.
>> - We would like to publish a finalized version very soon, possibly
>> before the release of TYPO3 6.0...
>
> Has any of this happened so far? - I'd really prefer to comment official
> proposals instead of mailing-list postings ;)

I have listed all changes in particular in the mail which I (and you)
have replied to [1].

The EAB has been asked and welcomes the proposal (I already wrote that).

The mentioned proposal document was written but not published. The
reason is that it got way too large and I realized that it doesn't
really fit as a document to be published. You can still read it if you
like [2]. It mostly covers the way how we came to the new proposal,
therefore I consider it as an internal document for our team.
If you look at it, only the last section "Maintenance policy" is
probably the text which will go to typo3.org...

Hope this answers your questions.

Greetings, Michael

[1]
http://lists.typo3.org/pipermail/typo3-team-core/2012-November/052822.html