[TYPO3-core] Proposal for the upcoming Roadmap and LTS

Michael Stucki michael.stucki at typo3.org
Sun Nov 25 14:33:58 CET 2012

Hi everyone,

this weekend I met with Benjamin and Oliver in Stuttgart to discuss the
structure of the CMS core team and the upcoming roadmap.

We spent a major part of our meeting to review the whole discussion that
started after Bennis proposal in October, and tried to identify the
problems and fears that need to be resolved.

Looking at the huge discussion, there were a lot of similar views:

1. There is a high demand for another LTS version

Only a few people have put this in question, whereas the only reason
against another LTS seems to be lack of resources. We have tried to
address that further down in this text.

2. Only six months to upgrade from 4.5 LTS to 6.2 LTS is too short

This was first brought up by Steffen Müller but a lot of people seem to
agree to it. We see the need for this and would like to address it by
extending the lifetime of TYPO3 4.5 LTS for 6 more months. That yet
depends on Ernesto who is the release manager and needs to agree with
it, but it looks like he will do so.

3. Don't backport _every_ fix into every supported version

This was brought up by Mario Rimann and I think it's a major point of
the discussion where people talk about different needs:
As an end user, I will most likely not care if some tiny change is
backported to 4.5 LTS right now, however I do care if the blocker that
prevents it to work with some new browser version is fixed. Therefore,
we should clarify the maintenancy periods and separate between

a) regular small bugfixes
b) priority bugfixes & security fixes

We think that a release should receive every bugfix at the time when it
it is new (during the stable phase, 1st 6 months). But after that, there
is no need to backport every change into a version. Only priority
bugfixes (blockers, important issues) and security fixes (of course!)
should be required for backporting. Other issues can still be backported
optionally, we don't want to exclude this possibility of course...

4. Have the TYPO3 Association cover (some of) the costs for maintaining
an LTS version

There were several feedbacks from people who seem to expect this. In
fact, the maintenance costs are partly covered already as we do have
budgets for important bugfixes. It is not clearly marked as a budget for
LTS maintenance and it also wasn't used very often during this year.
Also Oliver spent a large amount of time working on LTS releases, which
has partly been covered by his team leader budget.

We will check if it is possible to modify our budget application to
clearly address LTS maintenance, but even if not, the current
application could cover some of these costs.

5. The 6 months release cycle should be kept

Again, there was only the lack of resource that seems to speak against a
6 month release cycle, but other cycles would have their drawbacks too.
Therefore we think that it's good to keep it like it is.

6. Next major version / version numbering

We realized that it is not relevant right now if there will be a 7.0 and
when. Both is possible but depends on factors that we can't foresee yet.

Therefore we decided to skip the whole part from our proposal, and
instead refer to 6.2 + 1, +2, etc. when naming versions.

Please take a look at the following sheet which explains how we propose
the next versions to be maintained:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AscRLPA1pqfQdEpUQVFVSjBQN1g5QnBQbTR5MmlJTXc

Next steps:
- We will write a proposal document that incorporates the points that
have been covered here.
- We will send this draft to the EAB of the TYPO3 Association and will
ask for their advise on it.
- We would like to publish a finalized version very soon, possibly
before the release of TYPO3 6.0...

Greetings to all of you!
Benni, Oliver & Michael

--