[TYPO3-core] the installer

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at blackbox.net
Tue Apr 18 19:35:42 CEST 2006

Michael Scharkow <michael at underused.org> writes on
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 17:29:08 +0200 (METDST):

> Martin Kutschker wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > Just in case we're running out of ideas what to improve: :-)
> >
> > IMHO the installer should be rewritten from scratch. The UI is far
> > from optimal.
>
> I'd volunteer for that because a) I agree it needs to be done from
> scratch,

Great, but could we discuss the issues and the solutions before you start enthusiasticly on your task.

> b) I'd like to use the installer as a first test case for my
> generic TYPO3 controller (controller as in MV*C*) which wll work for
> BE modules and FE plugins.

Again, could we discuss such changes like adding a new concept to TYPO3 first?

> The install tool is and ideal candidate because
> it has virtually no dependencies and uses fairly little BE
> infrastructure.

Perhaps, or perhaps not. I envisage a new config format that would use flex forms or something similar to them (ie everything except db related fields) for the rendering. The data would also be stored in XML, but TYPO3 would use a parsed and serialized version of them for the runtime enviroment.

Why? So we have real fields, not only plain input fields, with real options. Eg we could have drop downs, that reflect the available options, etc.

Masi