[TYPO3-v4] Minutes of the 16th meeting of the 4.6 Release Team

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Mon Sep 19 16:38:12 CEST 2011

Hi dear TYPO3 community,

Here are the notes of the 16th meeting of the 4.6 Release Team.

The minutes are also available in the wiki of TYPO3 4.6:
http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v46-projects/wiki/2011-09-19_-_Minutes_from_the_16th_meeting#Extension-Manager

On Monday, September 19th 2011 we held our 16th meeting with the
following participants:

* Xavier Perseguers (4.6 Release Manager)
* Oliver Hader (Core Team Leader)
* Ernesto Baschny (4.5 Release Manager)

Topics
============================

We kept the meeting short and discussed a few important topics.

Backports to 4.5 LTS
----------------------------

Dmitry started a discussion to gather feedback whether we should
backport the improved backend search to TYPO3 4.4 and TYPO3 4.5 LTS.

I'll quote Ernesto's reply here as it is our conclusion:

 > We would love to see this improvement also in 4.5 (as it is basically
 > a scalability / performance improvement), but would like to wait until
 > at least 4.6.0 is "out" and this feature has proven to work great. I
 > know you have had this patch working for some time now in your
 > environment, but having a bigger audience testing it will be nice.
 >
 > [...]
 >
 > We won't include it in 4.4 though, so for these installations, one
 > should consider use a patch and manually apply it, if needed.
 >
 > To make it less intrusive, you could change the backported patch to only
 > look at "searchField" in "ctrl" if this key is defined, else go through
 > all text fields (as usual), so that at least the same content will be
found.

 > For new extensions / tables where searchFields are defined, those will
 > be considered.
 >
 > For old extensions without searchField, those would at least remain
 > searchable.
 >
 > For the core tables (tt_content / pages / etc), we could define the
 > "searchField" like it was done for 4.6.

Extension Manager
----------------------------

We want to deprecate the usage of the old Extension Manager to
concentrate on the ExtJS-based one solely.

[ *TODO* Xavier ] Prepare a patch and push it to Gerrit

Submodules
----------------------------

Make sure submodule leaders and co-leaders are aware of the imminent
release of TYPO3 4.6 beta3, in order for them to merge their work in
time for the packaging.

[ *TODO* Xavier ] Send an email to the leaders/co-leaders

Form project
----------------------------

We still have to fix some inconsistencies with the coding guidelines,
fix general bugs and make a security review. Olly will have a look.

In addition, the Form project should be automatically activated for new
installations.

[ *TODO* Olly ] Update packaging script to load 'form' in introduction
and blank packages

Branching TYPO3 4.7
----------------------------

A while ago we discussed if we should branch TYPO3 4.7, that is Git's
master would become the branch for TYPO3 4.7 and a TYPO3_4-6 branch
would be created.

We decided to definitively wait for the 4.6.0 release before branching,
to really concentrate on bug fixing.

Dates
============================

* TYPO3 4.6 beta3 on September 20th 2011
* Final Release of TYPO3 4.6.0 on October 25th 2011

Next steps

If you feel interested in a particular project or task, please reply on
the list or directly get in contact with Xavier Perseguers as Release
Manager of TYPO3 4.6.

Xavier

--
Xavier Perseguers