[TYPO3-v4] New vs "Old" Extension Manager

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Mon Sep 12 22:16:27 CEST 2011

Hi all,

> I'd like to get your point of view regarding the EM and what to do for
> TYPO3 4.6.

As some of you are already aware of, I met with Xavier on last Friday
and Saturday and we had a code sprint about the new Extension Manager.
We used the summary of this thread made by Xavier as a base for
discussion. We had both prepared by trying to use only the new EM in our
work for at least one week before we met. We chose a few points which
seemed to be the most problematic ones.

After toying with the new EM and making some improvements (some of which
are not finished, one other is creating controversy; see list of issues
below) we decided that we really liked the new EM.

Originally Xavier started this thread to assess whether we could get rid
of the old EM in 4.6. It's now too late for this move, but we propose:

- to make the new EM the default in new installations of 4.6
- to get entirely rid of the new EM in 4.7

There's a point where we need to make a choice. The old EM is currently
broken in places because of some of the changes made for the new EM. The
new EM is not working as satisfyingly as it could, because the code
would need to be refactored far more thoroughly than it already was. As
long as we try to keep both EMs running, we'll face issues in both.

Opinions?

Francois Suter

Issues from the code sprint:

http://forge.typo3.org/issues/29586