[TYPO3-v4] Clear all caches clears caching framework tables

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Mon Sep 12 20:50:06 CEST 2011

Hey Christian,

> On 09/12/2011 07:19 PM, Xavier Perseguers wrote:
>> I have such an extension where I use the caching framework to easily...
>> cache external data from a Web Service and I implemented a scheduler
>> task to use one of the service entry point that gives me back the list
>> of changes since a given point of time, allowing me to actively "flush"
>> old entries.
>
> Nice use case :) Do you use tagging to drop the entries you wish to
> invalidate?

Yes.

> So, I'd personally prefer to not add some option for 4.6 to solve your
> issue because we get a real solution with 4.7 anyway and I would like to
> spare the effort of taking care of a backwards compatible problem we
> might introduce with a specific minor problem solution we add during end
> of 4.6 development. If however we decide to still introduce something
> like this for 4.6, we might want to mark it as temporary option that
> might change for 4.7 again.

Actually my extension is currently supporting 4.4 to 4.6. I already
dropped support for 4.3 some months ago and I will do so for 4.4 once
4.6 is out. But 4.5 will remain for its entire lifetime.

So the question is how to solve that. One option could be to have a hook
that I implement. This way, we don't introduce new options and cache
processing could always be useful. The other way would be for me to
XCLASS it in 4.6 and hopefully have a better option when 4.7 is out. The
last option is to implement my own caching mechanism which I find quite
uncool given the CF we have.

--
Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6