[TYPO3-v4] Clear all caches clears caching framework tables

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Mon Sep 12 19:19:15 CEST 2011

Hello Community,

As you know, caching framework tables are finally automatically cleared
when one clicks the "clear all caches" button (well, menu entry). This
is great because you don't have staled entries or weird caching effects
anymore.

However, this can lead to bad performances when an extension relied on
the caching framework tables not to be flushed automatically.

I have such an extension where I use the caching framework to easily...
cache external data from a Web Service and I implemented a scheduler
task to use one of the service entry point that gives me back the list
of changes since a given point of time, allowing me to actively "flush"
old entries.

With the introduction of flush with clear all caches, anybody with the
right to clear caches blindly flushes all caches.

I see two options:

1) That's my problem (as extension developer) and I better should
reinvent the wheel and create my own dedicated caching tables (not
complicated, I know)
2) We add an option to prevent some caching tables to be flushed
automatically, this is then as before (but not active by default of
course) where one has to take care of it

Your opinion?

--
Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6