[TYPO3-v4] Dropping the compat_version

Benjamin Mack benni at typo3.org
Tue Oct 25 16:30:54 CEST 2011

Hey all,

I think the most important thing is actually, to get rid of
compat_version flags that consider something like compat_version(4.0) as
we could remove everything below 4.4 (which is now deprecated anyway).
This would also mean that we should remove all very old
css_styled_content templates that are still floating around.

Basically I see it like this:

If I do a upgrade to an older version, I am upgrading all at once, and
can keep an older version to see the changes in TypoScript, but as we
now have nice upgrade wizards, i don't see such a big problem. That goes
for the TypoScript stuff.

For all options in the code, I would recommend removing all options
prior to 4.4.

Btw: The switch is VERY useful in cases where the TCA[types] stuff
changes all the time, and extensions can stay compatible (See realurl),
so I would love to keep this function.

So: -1 for removing it, +1 for removing old legacy code and templates
all around the core.

All the best,
Benni.