[TYPO3-v4] Dropping the compat_version

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Mon Oct 24 18:45:01 CEST 2011

Susanne Moog schrieb am 24.10.2011 16:01:
> Hey,
>
> +1 for dropping.
>
> Sidenote:
>
> On 24.10.2011 15:04, Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
>> But be aware that, as soon as we do this, we have to be change our
>> "backwards compatibility" policy for the frontend rendering. Either we
>> "drop it", or we accept breaking changes, if they are clearly documented
>> somehow (maybe by providing TypoSript snippets to "re-enable" old style,
>> for example in case of changed defaults). The Core Team has still to
>> deal responsibly with breaking changes, because the smooth upgrade path
>> is one of the fundamental aspects that sets us apart from competing
>> products.
>
> No we don't necessarily break the backwards compatibility for the
> frontend: we can still provide different css styled content templates
> same as before but have to communicate now, that the admin has to chose
> the one he wants himself as the upgrade wizard does not do it anymore...
> by default that would mean that you get the current new css styled
> content template after an upgrade but still have the possibility to
> include the old one.

Yes, true, for this particular thing (the css_styled_content TypoScript).

Nevertheless we also might want to "change defaults" (config.XYYY) in a
future release, or do other fancy stuff for which we could use the
"compat_version" setting for. If we don't have it anymore, we will have
to consider how to properly "break" things from case to case (by making
it very clear in the release notes, by providing backwards compatible
documented workarounds, etc...).