[TYPO3-v4] Exclude-field by default?

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Mon May 23 22:21:50 CEST 2011

Steffen Gebert schrieb am 23.05.2011 21:36:
> Hi,
>
> inspired by a presentation at the TYPO3camp Stuttgart, I'm thinking of
> the following:
>
> *Make every field an "exclude field" by default*
>
> This means that every field can be hidden using the Access Lists.
> What do you think of this idea?
>
> Consequences:
> * We need an Upgrade Wizard (like the one from the FlexForm Exclude
> Fields Feature) to give all groups access to all the fields, which
> haven't been an exclude field before
> * ...?
>
> Thinking one step further: Remove the whole exclude field thingy (and
> add every field from TCA to the Access Lists).

The idea is that certain fields are "required" to be seen by everyone,
because they are key fields for the record: for example the title when
used as the "label" or the CType of a content element which needs to be
set on every new tt_content. Having no access to these fields will
probably make some situations break which currently work because
everyone has access to the fields (as soon as they get access to the
table).

So in general I would agree with the need to simplify this for the
extension developers (which currently just add every field as an exclude
field), but it has to be evaluated with care. Maybe having a flag
meaning the opposite (like "accessForAll = 1") would be sufficient to
get the old behaviour when really required for certain fields.