[TYPO3-v4] Patch-for-a-patch, nitpicking and negative votes

Steffen Gebert steffen.gebert at typo3.org
Mon Mar 28 09:43:11 CEST 2011

Hi,

>> That would mean, vote -1 only if something breaks (verified) or
>> solution is
>> the wrong approch (review).
>>
> corrct, -1 vote needs a good reason and a comment why it was given.
> Noone should vote -1 because of a inline comment need to be adjusted or
> a missing space or because he's in bad mood etc. Just comment that
> inline and make it independent from vote.

I disagree. I think with Gerrit a -1 could be treated as less harsh. And
I think we should vote with a -1, if the patch is not ok (including
cases like the commit message is bad) in every case.

This makes it clear to other reviewers that the patch is not the way it
should be.

I appreciate the "Provide an improved patch after negative vote"
intention (if it's only tiny things to change). And I'm for keeping it
and try to respect it.

I'm unsure about the "can be adjusted during commit" equivalent now.
Personally, I would not use statements like that and instead provide a
corrected improved patch immediately or wait for the pusher to provide a
new one.
And I would say, if the previous patch version had enough votes and the
improved version is 100% safe, then it can be submitted, of course,
without waiting for complete reviews.

Kind regards
Steffen

--
P.S: For changes you really don't want to happen to TYPO3, you (at least
as team member) could vote a -2. AFAIK then the change is blocked.

Steffen Gebert
TYPO3 v4 Core Team Member