[TYPO3-v4] Welcome our new fellow reviewer

Stefano Kowalke blueduck at gmx.net
Thu Mar 24 21:05:23 CET 2011

> Just a question which popped up when I read this.
> What will be tested when Checkstyle is used? Only the changeset, or the
> complete branch?

The complete branch.

> This because the core in current state has quite a few places which are
> not compliant with the CGL (eg typo3/alt_doc.php)

Exactly, but there are not only a few places. The whole core doesn't
follow our CGL. According to [1] we have 109,233 violations (of course
without third-party code, fluid and extbase).

> If these are also tested this could lead to false negatives on the
> changeset.

This is the problem we fight with. I have two ideas to solve this:

1) Set the Treshold very high. This means I can set the huge amount of
violations as default. As result we get a sucessfull build and only new
violations will break it

2) We enable only those sniffs/rules which are fulfilled at the moment.
All other rules will be enabled piece by piece with simultaneously
refactoring the core for every new rule and enable the rule afterwards.

> The same applies when a new CGL rule is decided. All code which have
> been submitted before the new rule might not be valid against that new
> rule.

Yes.

As I know of my own experience such refactoring are boring. I would
prefer a kind of automatism. PHP_Beautifier [2] is such an tool.
Unfortunable the sniffs for PHP_Codesniffer are not compatible, so
someone have to reimplement the rules.
If someone interested in this job, please drop me a mail.

Stefano

[1]
http://ci.typo3.org/view/TYPO3/view/Core/job/typo3-v4-core-nightlyBuild/70/
[2] http://pear.php.net/package/PHP_Beautifier/redirected