[TYPO3-v4] Git/Gerrit workflow, commit messages

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Wed Mar 16 08:19:54 CET 2011

Helmut Hummel schrieb am 15.03.2011 20:20:

> I really appreciate that the TYPO3 core moved to git. Technically it
> opens a lot of possibilities.
>
> I however still looking for a workflow that works form to get an
> overview of the pending change requests.
>
> What I liked in the old RFCs was, that everything was in one place:
>
> * The description of the problem
> * The proposed solution
> * Steps to reproduce
> * The target branches
> * Additional notes
> * The patch
> * Discussions related to the patch in a threaded view (Newsreader)
>
> Now we have a Change request in Gerrit which have a commit message,
> which currently looks very different depending on the person who wrote
> it and no rules how this message should look like (or have we?)
>
> I think the commit message must be more strict than a RFC on the core
> list and must not contain Steps to reproduce, additional notes or very
> detailed problem/solution description.
>
> It should contain a brief subject line and a short abstract what changes
> with this commit, nothing more nothing less.
>
> But then where to add additional information, steps to reproduce etc.?
> In the bugtracker only?
>
> OK, reading this:
>
> http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v4-core/wiki/Guide_CommitMessage
>
> helps a bit, but still: Do we want all information we had in the old
> RFCs in the commit message?

The whole information about the issue, how to reproduce it etc is
content to be placed in the ISSUE TRACKER and not in the commit
messages. So to understand an issue you must open the issue tracker. The
author of a patch *must* update the information of the issue so that a
reviewer can have a very quick introduction to the topic.

Maybe this has to be documented or emphasized, because I think the issue
tracker will be the most important place where discussion about a bug
takes place, and people using the new reviewing system should be aware
of it.