[TYPO3-v4] Git/Gerrit workflow, commit messages

Helmut Hummel helmut.hummel at typo3.org
Tue Mar 15 20:20:46 CET 2011

Hi,

I really appreciate that the TYPO3 core moved to git. Technically it
opens a lot of possibilities.

I however still looking for a workflow that works form to get an
overview of the pending change requests.

What I liked in the old RFCs was, that everything was in one place:

* The description of the problem
* The proposed solution
* Steps to reproduce
* The target branches
* Additional notes
* The patch
* Discussions related to the patch in a threaded view (Newsreader)

Now we have a Change request in Gerrit which have a commit message,
which currently looks very different depending on the person who wrote
it and no rules how this message should look like (or have we?)

I think the commit message must be more strict than a RFC on the core
list and must not contain Steps to reproduce, additional notes or very
detailed problem/solution description.

It should contain a brief subject line and a short abstract what changes
with this commit, nothing more nothing less.

But then where to add additional information, steps to reproduce etc.?
In the bugtracker only?

OK, reading this:

http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v4-core/wiki/Guide_CommitMessage

helps a bit, but still: Do we want all information we had in the old
RFCs in the commit message?

Kind regards,
Helmut

--