[TYPO3-v4] getUrl issues - linkvalidator

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Tue Mar 15 09:02:03 CET 2011

Hi,

On 15-3-2011 0:43, Philipp Gampe wrote:
> During development of linkvalidator some issues popped up with getUrl.

There is a lot wrong with t3lib_div::getURL()

I once tried to add POST capabilities to it, but that RFC was voted away
because getURL was so complex and poorly constructed due to continuous
extensions in the past. It was close to feature freeze and I couldn't
make a proper HTTP library (or adapt an existing one) in the amount of
time that was left.

Maybe this is a good opportunity to make one?

> Unfortunately we can not use HEAD, because some servers like amazon.com
> behave differently on HEAD compared to GET. This is a poor implementation,
> but RFCs only say that HEAD _SHOULD_ behave as GET.

In RFCs there is a (sometimes subtle) difference between 'must',
'should' and 'can'. So if the RFC says that HEAD 'should' behave as GET,
the amazon server is still correct by not behaving this way. It would be
different if the RFC had said that it 'must' behave as GET.

> The question is now what to do in 4.5 branch and how to solve the big file
> problem.

It could be a good solution to make a proper HTTP library (which can
implement workarounds for poor HEAD behaviour), include this in 4.5 also
and let getURL use this library in a backwards compatible way.

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert.