[TYPO3-v4] "CGL" policy for new hooks?

Susanne Moog typo3 at susannemoog.de
Sun Mar 13 19:54:32 CET 2011

Hey,

On 13.03.2011 17:46, Tolleiv.Nietsch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was just wondering if we should discuss what exactly the policy for
> new hooks is. In https://review.typo3.org/1003 I'm being pushed to use a
> hook which does an additional check against an interface.
>
> But what's the policy for that? When do we claim interfaces for newly
> added hooks in the Core? (why / why not?)
>
> I'd personally prefer to have a clear policy because it's just
> disrupting if things get blocked just because *this* has to be discussed
> with every hook request again and again.

For me it's not a question depending on any single issue, but a policy
thing. Do we have / want a rule that defines that hooks have to use
interfaces, yes or no?

I researched a bit and found:

01.03.2009 [TYPO3-dev] Hooks with interface
==> lots of discussion of the topic, no decision

The last hook requests in the core mailing list were rejected or
accepted depending on who was reviewing them. Some people were obviously
of the opinion that interfaces are a rule, some aren't.

We definitely need a decision here (perhaps for once without restarting
the whole 2009 discussion? ;)) that we can write down in the CGL and
stick to.

Cheers,

Susanne

--
What's worth the price is always worth the fight
Every second counts 'cause there's no second try

TYPO3 Core Team Member