[TYPO3-v4] TYPO3 4.5 LTS and new hooks policy

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Wed Mar 9 10:41:53 CET 2011

Tolleiv.Nietsch schrieb am 08.03.2011 14:09:
> Hi,
>
> Am 08.03.2011 10:43, schrieb François Suter:
>>
>> What's your opinion on this?
>>

> thanks for bringing this up. From my perspective there's no need to be
> strict about hooks since they don't provide any specific feature and if
> inserted right they don't even influence performance.
>
> Another reason why adding hooks to 4.5 might make sense is that some of
> the features had been finalized far too short before the release and
> therefore extension others or other teams had no chance to actually
> propose hooks (e.g. pagetree: https://review.typo3.org/#change,1037).

The trouble is not because of it might break stuff, but of the
dependency it creates on certain patch level releases, which we
currently don't have.

An extension might be published saying "works in 4.5". But if it has
specific hooks required which were only available in 4.5.3 for example,
the extension won't work with 4.5.0 - 4.5.2.

Not a *huge* problem, I agree, but something that should be considered
with care before we start adding hooks at will.

So I would say:

Adding a hook for fixing bugs in sysext with have interdependency with
the core is something worth doing, because the alternative would be worse.

Adding a hook for providing third party extensions new possibilities
should be considered on a case by case and discussed with the 4.5
release team.