[TYPO3-v4] TYPO3 4.5 LTS and new hooks policy

Steffen Kamper info at sk-typo3.de
Tue Mar 8 10:49:05 CET 2011

Hi Francois,

Am 08.03.2011 10:43, schrieb François Suter:
> Hi all,
>
> As a general rule, we don't introduce new hooks in stable branches. I
> was wondering whether this rule should be enforced strictly for 4.5,
> since it will be around for a very long time.
>
> Case in point: since 4.3 we have been working on separating all
> versioning/workspaces-related code from the Core. This implied having a
> number of hooks added to the Core, so that versioning could "insert
> itself" at all the right places. This is not complete yet and -
> unsurprisingly - buggy in some places. To solve some of these issues
> (see [1] for a sample), the clean way would be to introduce new hooks.
> If we say that hooks go only to 4.6, it means that some bugs will *not*
> get resolved at all in 4.5, while some other may be solved with unclean
> solutions.
>
> What's your opinion on this?

i think with LTS we need to make some changes to this rule. It's ok for
normal releases, as after 6 month you have the next release and can update.

LTS means also 3 years guarantee of supported version, that also means
some more enhancements has to go in.
In your case, if a hook is needed to seperate version handling for the
reason to solve bugs/problems i see it as reason enough to allow a hook
in 4_5.

vg Steffen