[TYPO3-v4] TYPO3 4.5 LTS and new hooks policy

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Tue Mar 8 10:43:41 CET 2011

Hi all,

As a general rule, we don't introduce new hooks in stable branches. I
was wondering whether this rule should be enforced strictly for 4.5,
since it will be around for a very long time.

Case in point: since 4.3 we have been working on separating all
versioning/workspaces-related code from the Core. This implied having a
number of hooks added to the Core, so that versioning could "insert
itself" at all the right places. This is not complete yet and -
unsurprisingly - buggy in some places. To solve some of these issues
(see [1] for a sample), the clean way would be to introduce new hooks.
If we say that hooks go only to 4.6, it means that some bugs will *not*
get resolved at all in 4.5, while some other may be solved with unclean
solutions.

What's your opinion on this?

--

Francois Suter