[TYPO3-v4] Question about Git branches

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Thu Mar 3 11:06:55 CET 2011

Thorsten Kahler [dkd] schrieb am 03.03.2011 10:46:
> Hi RM ^^,
>
> Xavier Perseguers schrieb am 03.03.11 09:26:
>>
>>> Is there any potential pitfall in the setup described by Ernesto?
>>
>> I heard of some special setup that would allow the object database of
>> Git to be stored "separately" and shared among the different
>> branches/"clones" Ernesto is talking about. This would be more efficient
>> as it allows the sources to be only physically stored once. But I don't
>> have any documentation for this at the moment.
>>

> `git clone --shared` allows to "share the objects with the source
> repository". This means you can save a few MIB of disk storage if you
> need several branches at the same time. But it's not that much: the .git
> directory currently is about 67MIB in comparison to 60MIB of e.g. 4.4
> sources.
>
> I'm experimenting with such a setup and will report if there are any
> benefits besides those few bytes.

I also did a quick try with it, and saw more complexity than benefits
(e.g. the original branches are not there in the clone, you have a local
"remote" pointing to the first clone, etc).

So I wouldn't recommend such a setup if you don't know what you're doing.

But anyway, your experience with it would be appreciated, Thorsten, I
would like to hear your report on your findings here.