[TYPO3-v4] Question about Git branches

Thorsten Kahler [dkd] thorsten.kahler at dkd.de
Thu Mar 3 10:46:44 CET 2011

Hi RM ^^,

Xavier Perseguers schrieb am 03.03.11 09:26:

>> Is there any potential pitfall in the setup described by Ernesto?
>
> I heard of some special setup that would allow the object database of
> Git to be stored "separately" and shared among the different
> branches/"clones" Ernesto is talking about. This would be more efficient
> as it allows the sources to be only physically stored once. But I don't
> have any documentation for this at the moment.

`git clone --shared` allows to "share the objects with the source
repository". This means you can save a few MIB of disk storage if you
need several branches at the same time. But it's not that much: the .git
directory currently is about 67MIB in comparison to 60MIB of e.g. 4.4
sources.

I'm experimenting with such a setup and will report if there are any
benefits besides those few bytes.

Cheers,
Thorsten

--