[TYPO3-v4] Question about Git branches

Steffen Kamper info at sk-typo3.de
Tue Mar 1 18:53:11 CET 2011

Hi,

Am 01.03.2011 18:41, schrieb François Suter:
> Hi all,
>
> Not being in Berlin I missed contact with the Git gurus, so here's a
> couple of questions about branches in Git.

same here - but had some direct contact to berlin :)

> I have cloned the TYPO3v4 project and now have a local repository,
> stored on my hard drive in /usr/local/src/typo3/Core/
>
> Now in my ~/Sites/typ45 folder - for example - I have a local TYPO3
> install which was symlinked to the TYPO3 source in this way (when using
> Subversion)
>
> typo3_src -> /usr/local/src/typo3/TYPO3_4-5/
>
> I have thus 2 questions:
>
> 1) if I want to work on a patch for TYPO3 4.5 I should create a branch
> based on origin/TYPO3_4-5 and not origin/master. Right?

see here - mostly this is for 4_5 and trunk

  http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v4-core/wiki/Typical_Tasks

> 2) I understand that Git branches are not "physical" like SVN branches.
> What do I need to do to fix/replace my symlink setup?

i think you have only one rep, make symlinks to this. Then just checkout
branch from console when you work in 4_5 mode, checkout master to work
in trunk mode. Makes it much simpler, no seperate installs needed anymore.

vg Steffen