[TYPO3-v4] Current master branch is broken?

Susanne Moog typo3 at susannemoog.de
Tue Jun 28 23:35:04 CEST 2011

Hey,

On 06/28/2011 11:12 PM, Christian Kuhn wrote:
> Here is another possible solution: We add a section to the 'compare db
> wizard' that is called something like 'Take care of all cache tables'.
> This option is enabled by default and does the following:
> - Delete all tables that are prefixed with 'cachingframework_'
> - Delete temp_CACHED* files (not sure if we _really_ need this, will check)
> - Call cacheManager->flushCaches() to (re)-create needed table
> structure. Maybe we could even move the code to a
> 'drop-and-recreate-table' method within this backend.

I really like this solution as it takes care of the upgrade path as well
as the cleanup if an extension gets uninstalled (which was one of my
last concerns) and still lets the cachingframework handle the table
creation automatically which I think is a very neat feature.

One thing I ask myself with an option like that: is it really needed to
drop all cachingframework tables and recreate them? For tables that are
still used as they have been before this could have a performance impact
on upgrading a production environment as all those entries have to be
regenerated (which is essentially like "clear all caches" which we don't
normally use in production environments). But I guess this would be ok
for the upgrade scenario.

BTW the upgrade wizard is mandatory -- quite some things would be broken
if you don't use it (take for example multiple links for images ...)

Cheers,

Susanne

--
What's worth the price is always worth the fight
Every second counts 'cause there's no second try

TYPO3 Core Team Member