[TYPO3-v4] Current master branch is broken?

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Tue Jun 28 23:33:43 CEST 2011

Dmitry Dulepov schrieb am 28.06.2011 22:08:
> Hi!
>
> Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
>> If you upgrade from 4.5 to 4.6 you*have*  to go through the Upgrade
>> Wizard, if you like it or not.:)
>
> Actually, since when Update Wizard became mandatory? It always was
> optional.

It is optional if you know what you are doing (e.g. manually install
sysext that were previously hardcoded modules, migrate manually the
workspacing stuff to the new layout, add all flexform fields to your
acl's, since they might be "excludefields", ...). Stuff *will* break if
you don't run the Upgrade Wizard OR don't act manually yourself.

This new issue (caching tables need to be re-layouted) is also "just
another backwards compatibility break" that needs to be fixed when
upgrading (and *can* be done manually if you "know what your doing").

So it might be optional for you TYPO3 expert, but "mandatory" for every
user that complaints about something "wrong" after they upgrade: "Have
you run the Upgrade Wizard? - No - Go ahead and do it, then report the
error again". We will never write a documentation about "Upgrading"
without urging the user to first go to the Upgrade Wizard.

Nevertheless I appreciate the suggestion of Christian Kuhn about adding
the "Reconstruct caching tables" checkbox to the COMPARE DATABASE wizard
and would support that, since it will please most wishes!