[TYPO3-v4] TinyMCE vs htmlArea RTE

Marcus Schwemer typo3 at schwemer.de
Tue Jun 28 21:27:48 CEST 2011

Hi,

thanks for bringing up this topic. I was asked this question after my
presentation about the extension "tinymce_rte" at the TYPO3camp Munich
in 2009. I am alway referring to the extension "tinymce_rte", since
there are several other extensions that try to intergrate TinyMCE, like
tinyrte, etc.

Since stepping into the project it is my one and only RTE, but not
without some draw-backs.

Xavier Perseguers schrieb am 28.06.11 14:34:

> As you know, htmlArea RTE is the "official" (ie delivered with Core)
> rich text editor, available both for frontend and backend editing
> (including flexform RTEs) and TinyMCE is available as a separate
> extension from TER to basically "replace" it.

Yes, basically it can replace the HTMLarea.

> If we choose to start (or resuscitate) such an old discussion is because
> our Community Manager, Ben, thought it would be worth trying to have a
> (hopefully) objective feature comparison coming from the community
> itself, may it be from htmlArea "fans" or from TinyMCE "lovers".

It is not only about features.

I am really appreciating and impressed by Stan's work ... keeping up the
commitment and support over all these years.

When ot comes to "tinymce_rte" only Thomas Allmer and me are right now
the only contributing people, besides bug reports. I would really like
if there were more people active. ;-)

With tinyMCE we rely on commercial work of a single firm, even it is
open source. We tried to bring in a 2- or 3-line patch that enables
tinyMCE to load over frames, withour any harm to the rest of the
funcionality ... It was rejected and we have to patch each tinyMCE
release manually. So my impression is, that they are not that
cooperative. But this may change if tinyMCE is not just an extension,
but part of the core.

What I like about tinyMCE is:

- works right out of the box, without much configuration

- easy to configure: You can use all tinyMCE configuration options with
a slightly changed syntax (replace ":" by "=")

- TYPO3Image / TYPO3Plugin in order to collect the necessary
information. Complete dialogs are still available.

- add youtube et al. videos right within the rte, no other content
element needed.

- built-in and easy to configure linkhandler (in most cases ;-) )

What should be improved:

- more complex extension require a "special" linkhandler (f.e. commerce)

- suggestions welcome :-)

My conclusion would be, that it is a very interesting topic, but maybe
too fast for 4.6.

Maybe we can talk about it in Sursee too ...

Cheers,
Marcus