[TYPO3-v4] TinyMCE vs htmlArea RTE

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Tue Jun 28 16:50:12 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 28-6-2011 14:57, Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> Xavier Perseguers wrote:
>> our Community Manager, Ben, thought it would be worth trying to have a
>> (hopefully) objective feature comparison coming from the community
>> itself, may it be from htmlArea "fans" or from TinyMCE "lovers".

Looking from the point of improving HTMLArea (because of reasons Dmitry
mentions later on):

> I tried both and TinyMCE wins for me in *standalone* cases because:
> - it loads faster

That's a tough cookie. I'm sure it's on Stans radar, but starting with
what he had there is only so much you can optimize.

> - it is more lightweight

Probably relate to the previous item.

> - it creates cleaner code

That is something which can be improved.

> - it is more predictable (does not create empty paragraphs from nothing
> and makes sure that enter always makes a paragraph, not suddently a line
> break)

That should also be a point where something can be improved.

> - it is easier to configure (at least for me)

This is for the most part a lack of understandable documentation. It's
obvious that we (me included) need more examples in the documentation
and more explanation how the various settings combined give the desired
result.

> And if we can, we should simplify RTE configuration.

With the desire to stay backwards compatible, the way the RTE API in the
core works this will be a hard nut to crack.

The RTE is also an area where lack of manpower begins to show. Stan does
an amazing job keeping the RTE HTMLArea compatible with the constantly
changing browser landscape. I'm personally not a Javascript wizard, so
I'm rather useless in maintaining the RTE.

As Georg has noticed in his Aloha project, it is very hard to make an
RTE work with TYPO3.

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert.