[TYPO3-v4] TinyMCE vs htmlArea RTE

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 14:57:15 CEST 2011

Hi!

Xavier Perseguers wrote:
> our Community Manager, Ben, thought it would be worth trying to have a
> (hopefully) objective feature comparison coming from the community
> itself, may it be from htmlArea "fans" or from TinyMCE "lovers".

I tried both and TinyMCE wins for me in *standalone* cases because:
- it loads faster
- it is more lightweight
- it creates cleaner code
- it is more predictable (does not create empty paragraphs from nothing and
makes sure that enter always makes a paragraph, not suddently a line break)
- it is easier to configure (at least for me)

Inside TYPO3 there is no way to beat HTMLArea now because that is much
better integrated to TYPO3 than any other RTE. But if that is leveraged, I
would definitely prefer to have TinyMCE instead of HTMLArea.

And if we can, we should simplify RTE configuration. Currently it is the
most complex part of TYPO3. I never know what should I change to get the
desired effect. With plain TinyMCE configuration it is extremely easy.

--
Dmitry "itoldyou" Dulepov
TYPO3 core&security team member
E-mail: dmitry.dulepov at typo3.org