[TYPO3-v4] Minutes of the 11th meeting of the 4.6 Release Team

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Mon Jun 27 15:57:36 CEST 2011

Xavier Perseguers schrieb am 27.06.2011 11:37:

> Subprojects of TYPO3 4.6
> ----------------------------
>
> Ben asked why system extension workspaces was not part of 4.6
> subprojects. We have following way of handling subprojects:
>
> * New features for a release are bound to the project (FAL, SCOTTY,
> XLIFF, ...)
> * Still active projects from a previous release are "moved" as
> subproject of the new upcoming release
> * Actively developed system extensions (such as workspaces) are
> temporarily moved as subproject of the upcoming release and then, when
> activity lowers, moved back to "Core" umbrella.
>
> [ *TODO* Olly ] Move workspaces to 4.6 subprojects

I'd like to disagree here:

To me it would only make sense to have new feature project as subproject
of the current release. As soon as an extension turns into a sysext,
it's no longer a "specific release project", but part of the core, and
as such should be visible as a subproject of the Core: thus also sharing
the issue tracker's version numbers, filters, etc.

*All* projects that are subprojects of the Core should be "actively
maintained", else they should not be part of the Core at all.

If we say that "actively developed sysext" are placed under the current
release project, it automatically means "t3editor", "scheduler" and
other core subprojects are "not actively developed", which is not quite
true.

And also people using 4.5 (or earlier) would wonder where to report bugs
for extensions like "Extbase", "Search" and "Workspaces", as they are
currently only visible under "4.6 Projects" (but they clearly are
included in 4.3 and on).

So my vote is to:

1) Move "Extbase", "Search" and "Workspaces" back to Core Subprojects
instead of having them in "4.6 Projects".

2) The place to present the "active 4.6 projects" or "what is planned or
being worked on" is the 4.6 wiki:

http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v46-projects/wiki

Like we had in 4.5:
http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v45-projects/wiki/Projects