[TYPO3-v4] Minutes of the 11th meeting of the 4.6 Release Team

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Mon Jun 27 11:37:12 CEST 2011

Hi dear TYPO3 community.

Better late than never ;-) Here are the notes of the 11th meeting of the
4.6 Release Team.

The minutes are also available in the wiki of TYPO3 4.6:
http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v46-projects/wiki/2011-06-20_-_Minutes_from_the_11th_meeting

On Monday, June 20th 2011 we held our 11th meeting with the following
participants:

* Xavier Perseguers (4.6 Release Manager)
* Oliver Hader (Core Team Leader)
* Benjamin Mack (4.4 Release Manager)
* Ben van't Ende (Community Manager)

Topics
============================

RFC reviews are now working properly. We have the feeling many people
finally got accustomed to Gerrit and the workflow with Git/Gerrit/Forge.

Form project
----------------------------

Olly performed some changes such as adding type hints, refactoring code
structure and fixing coding style right in SVN's project. He pointed out
some XLIFF problems with the corresponding JavaScript which should be
tackled with in a near future. This is partly related to enhancing XLIFF
support and back compatibility. In all cases, the stand is good!

We wonder if some parts may be unified with Extbase as it already
"basically" does the same. E.g., with form validation. We certainly
should centralize this validation handling and, why not, base it on
Extbase itself.

There are a lot of new classes that should hopefully be covered by unit
tests => new task?

[ *TODO* Steffen ] Contact Patrick this week to test the extension.
[ *TODO* Ben ] Contact Patrick about finalizing the manual.

Toolbar in ExtJS
----------------------------

We need to define a new API to add other widgets to the toolbar.

[ *TODO* Xavier ] Discuss the new API with Steffen

TCEforms refactoring
----------------------------

Benni sent email to Andreas, works on something else. Should be
developped further during Core team (presentation) and then work
together. People should know how it internally works.

http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v4-form-api

Install Tool
----------------------------

As discussed two weeks ago, Steffen thought about some bug he found and
should report it and assign it to Benni.

[ *TODO* Steffen ] Find and report bug to Benni.

BE Performance
----------------------------

Thanks to recent changes, the community is taking care of improving it.
Great!

Git and Gerrit
----------------------------

Meeting was done last week:
http://forge.typo3.org/projects/team-git/wiki/Meeting_June_15th_2011

Advanced Frontend Editor
----------------------------

Ben added this topic to our agenda to echo the recent "Aloha for TYPO3
v4" post from Georg you may have seen on Twitter. We discussed the
status of Frontend Editing, big topic back to TYPO3 4.3 and why the
extension advanced frontend editing (feeditadvanced) is not a system
extension.

Benni points out that it once was a system extension but was not stable
enough to stay within Core and as such was removed prior to the final
release of TYPO3 4.3.0. Since then it is regularly updated and is
definitively not dead!

Aloah sounds very good to be integrated as "official" rich text editor
for frontend editing and would be kind of another "TYPO3 v5 part" within
TYPO3 v4. But the current integration is still experimental and we
cannot discuss much more at the moment. According to Georg himself, more
to come and to be presented during T3DD11.

Another point was about Stan recently mentioning in the mailing list
that htmlArea RTE is part of the Core and that people should use the
Core list to discuss issues. The problem came from the fact that a
deprecated project was still open on Forge and it was not clear whether
its bug tracker had to be used or not. We decided to close this project
to make it clear for everybody.

Subprojects of TYPO3 4.6
----------------------------

Ben asked why system extension workspaces was not part of 4.6
subprojects. We have following way of handling subprojects:

* New features for a release are bound to the project (FAL, SCOTTY,
XLIFF, ...)
* Still active projects from a previous release are "moved" as
subproject of the new upcoming release
* Actively developed system extensions (such as workspaces) are
temporarily moved as subproject of the upcoming release and then, when
activity lowers, moved back to "Core" umbrella.

[ *TODO* Olly ] Move workspaces to 4.6 subprojects

Introduction Package
----------------------------

Ben reported that a discussion took place to think about putting the
Introduction Package into a Git & Gerrit review workflow.

Olly thinks that scripts and configuration could be put into Gerrit but
he is not sure if it really makes sense.

We agree that site structure and database dump should not be handled by
Gerrit. But list of included extensions and such configuration options
could be, for sure.

Dates
============================

* TYPO3 4.6 alpha3 on July 12th 2011
* *Feature Freeze and TYPO3 4.6 beta1 on August 2nd 2011*
   no new features and no exceptions after the feature freeze date
* Final Release of TYPO3 4.6.0 on October 25th 2011

Next steps

If you feel interested in a particular project or task, please reply on
the list or directly get in contact with Xavier Perseguers as Release
Manager of TYPO3 4.6.

Xavier

--
Xavier Perseguers