[TYPO3-v4] TYPO3 4.6 Ideas: Module reordering

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Tue Jun 14 12:54:46 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 14-6-2011 10:00, Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
> I would like to see the following "rules" being followed for new concepts:
>
> 1) if two installation have the same extensions installed (regardless of
> their loading order) =>  the modules list is exactly the same (in the
> same order)
>
> 2) extension developers should be allowed to place their module in the
> module's menu in a consistent, deterministic and understandable rule-set
> (not by manipulating some "array")
>
> 3) a site integrator *might* be able to further "manipulate" the order
> of modules (overwriting the wishes from extension developers) thought a
> consistent (maybe the same?) API, but this should be given lowest
> priority, as usually it causes more confusion amongst the editor than helps.

I'd like to take a step back to the "problem". The most advanced users
(admins, integrators) have a good overview of the backend and don't mind
in which order the modules appear; they recognize the icons and can
quickly see the module name. The problems occur for editors who often
rely on the order of menu items to recognize them.

I would personally go for:

1) The extension can determine where its module is placed in the menu.
This can take a different shape than it is currently, but it's hard to
set up a system when the items which are present vary so much from
installation to installation.

2) The integrator can set the order of the modules in a menu.

3) The BE user can set the order of the modules in his own menu

The last item has the highest priority.

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert.