[TYPO3-v4] New vs "Old" Extension Manager

Fabien Udriot fudriot at omic.ch
Thu Jul 14 13:07:29 CEST 2011

> I see the need of simplify, and this could be done by reducing the visable details. There are some
> tasks for extensions you always need like db maintainance, update scripts etc. The features work
> much better using rowexpander than using popups. There was the plan also to simplify the installing,
> but there are some pitfalls like dependency loops etc, which are also awful in old EM.

Unless I have missed it, having the EM as a Forge project sounds as a good idea to gain visibility
across the community and also to get the chance to have more people getting involved.

+1 for that

Also, I wish we can precise the scope of the Extension Manager for the future and define the large
picture. Currently, it is unclear the extend of the goals and I would second Tolleiv's concern here
(cf. above) in the regard the EM does to many things.

A good start would be to write User Stories to define the requirements of the module.

Fabien